Here’s a quick quiz for you: How likely are you to get into a car accident at night?

  1. 0x more likely, since there’s not as much traffic
  2. 2x more likely
  3. 3x more likely

If you picked C, you’re correct. Despite there being 60 percent fewer cars on the road, the chances of an accident triple at nighttime. In fact, nighttime driving accidents make up 40 percent of all accidents. There are a ton of factors contributing to this, which our affordable hotel will go into.

As much as you might want to keep cruising all the way to Lincoln or Omaha, you will be so much safer when you get off the road and stay at New Victorian Inn & Suites. Instead of being tired and dealing with a stiff neck at one in the morning, you could be snuggled up in a luxurious king-sized bed. Instead of digging through that questionable-looking bag of Bugles for sustenance, you could savor our exceptional continental breakfast.

If that’s not enough to convince you, maybe these facts about nighttime driving will. Avoid driving in the dark — stay with New Victorian Inn & Suites in Norfolk, Omaha, YorkLincolnSioux City, or Kearney!

Less Visibility

All mammals need enough light to see — the reason owls have such good night vision is because they have a reflective layer behind their retina that allows for double the light to come in. Human eyes can do some incredible things, but when it comes to seeing in the dark, we’re not so great.

As the National Safety Council says, “As we age, we have greater difficulty seeing at night. A 50-year-old driver may need twice as much light to see as well as a 30-year-old.” When we can’t see as well, we’re at a much higher risk for getting into an accident. And even if our vision is great, countless other drivers on the road might not be able to say the same.

Inebriated Driving

Driving under the influence of alcohol or other substances should never happen, but it unfortunately does. For teen drivers, there’s something known as “The 100 Deadliest Days” — the days following after Memorial Day and into summer — where some of the most drunk driving accidents occur. Between the hours of midnight and 3 a.m. are when drunk driving accidents are most prevalent.

As BACTrack reports, “According to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), between 2001 and 2005, 36 fatalities occurred per day on average in the United States as a result of crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver.”

When drunk driving accidents occur, people who haven’t been driving under the influence are often affected. If you’re driving at night, your risk for getting into an accident is much higher — all the more reason to stay at an affordable hotel like New Victorian Inn & Suites instead.

In our next blog, we’ll talk about some key reasons why you should skip driving at night and opt for a hotel stay with New Victorian. Until then, stay safe on the road, and book a night with any one of our affordable hotels in Nebraska!